Friday, April 2, 2010

A surprise in Surprise!

It seems we need to offer some clarification.

First, I am going to be the father of two babies, but the first is already born. The second is coming this fall. (There are no twins, but one real little baby, growing like crazy in Christina's tummy.)

Second, there is this term we have used -- unplanned -- that I would like to retract. Our second baby was planned, even if it wasn't us that did the planning. This baby was a surprise to us (our Surprise surprise!), but it is clear to both of us that this baby is supposed to come to our home at this time. There is no doubt that our Heavenly Father "planned" this addition.

It didn't take us long to realize -- after all that happened when Christina first got pregnant with McKay -- that we didn't have nearly as much control over things as we thought we did. I don't know why, but McKay was SUPPOSED to be born in July, less than two weeks before I started school. Heavenly Father monitored the whole situation, and we got our two-week-old son to the Valley of the Sun safe and sound, despite car trouble and triple-digit temperatures.

Before McKay was even born, Christina (who is often MUCH closer to the spirit than I am) told me that she felt strongly that our second should come soon after the first. It didn't take long after McKay's birth for the feeling to come back to her. She shared her feelings with me often, and we had long talks about it. I was resistant, and each time we'd decide that "soon after" probably meant within three years or so. But the feeling would return, and we'd talk about it again, each time coming to the same conclusion.

Before long, Heavenly Father took control again.

We were surprised. We were unprepared. Maybe even nervous. But never -- NEVER -- did we feel like it was a mistake. Or that it shouldn't have happened. Or even that we didn't want it too. Despite all our talks filled with human logic, I think we both knew, somewhere inside of us, that this baby was coming.

Again, as before, I don't why. But I do know we will have a place for the new one, when he or she is all ready.

We know we will have to make some sacrifices. We know that vacations may have to be postponed. But I'm sure that Disneyland will still be there in three years -- or ten years -- when we are ready to go. We know we may have to spend some time clipping coupons, eating at home, and passing on new clothes just to make ends meet. But I am sure those ends will come together somehow. There will probably be long nights home and short trips out. There will dirty diapers and dirty bedrooms. There will certainly be tears, from the new baby, from McKay and from two tired, frustrated parents. And still, despite all this, we know that this -- all of this -- will work out just fine.

Our Heavenly Father has cared for us tenderly throughout our lives so far. There is no doubt. We know that tomorrow, when we will need Him even more than yesterday, He will be there. He will not let us fail: at school, at home, at parenting, at life.

So, welcome, little one! We are excited to meet you! We already love you.

5 comments:

Brie Wheelwright said...

Oh My Gosh! Congratulations!!! We are so happy for you guys

The Johnson Family said...

I like your title! We need a girl cousin for Jayden all she has is boy cousins her age!

The Robert A. Meier Family said...

Congratulations!!!!!
But you don't need to explain it to us how it happened. We all know if you choose to play naked you get kids. Duhhhhh.....
I think you should name the baby
Silvia Surprise Nielson
Surprise Lloyd Nielson
Larnais Surprised Nielson
Bournen Surprise Nielson
Surprise Inarizona Nielson
Surprise Wehadfun Nielson

Andy & Alicia said...

Thanks for clarifying. I'm so happy for you guys. You make such cute babies, why not keep going? :) I can't wait to hear what you're having.

Michael Nielson said...

Thanks Alicia!! I love that you had to tell my brother-in-law, so he would check his e-mail. He didn't have a clue, I'm glad someone said something to him.