Saturday, July 11, 2009

The only thing that's certain is uncertainty

An interesting new development in our "career" saga:

In June, Drexel University contacted me to inform me that I could submit my med school application, which I had already submitted to Drexel's school of medicine, to a Master's of Public Health program with no additional fee. I took them up on their offer, not expecting much to come of it.

I found out this week that Drexel had not only accepted me, but also offered me a scholarship totaling $10,000 per year. That is a pretty substantial chunk of the approximately $27,000 per year in tuition.

This seems like it may be a good opportunity. I will have to wait at least one more year to get into medical school, and I don't know how much I can improve my credentials here in Blanding. The Master's of Public Health could serve as a stepping stone, or it could open new career doors that may be just as exciting. An additional benefit may be the fact that after two years in Pennsylvania, I can gain residency, which may open a lot of doors at one of the 10 medical schools in Pennsylvania (including Drexel itself). (For those less familiar with the med school application process: More spots are given to residents, and in-state tuition is usually substantially less.)

There are also some downsides, of course. The first is the move from Blanding to Philadelphia. Can you imagine a bigger culture change? I have real concerns about moving my wife and brand new baby (we are still waiting for him, by the way) into a place like Philly. Not to mention the move itself -- more than 2,000 miles. I also stop paying off debt and start accumulating it again. And I leave what has become an exceptionally comfortable career-type job, where I have been informed several times that I have the potential of advancing within the company. I make fair money and have good benefits.

Generally, life in Blanding is just comfortable. I work easy, predicatable hours. I am always off on weekends and holidays, and get home by 4 p.m. or earlier every day. I don't spend anytime sitting in traffic. If I have to wait for one car on my way to work, it is an abnormal morning. I love my little pickup and taking off, pretty much whenever I want, on a drive up into the mountains. It is hard to just say goodbye to all that.

In my mind, it comes down to one thing: do I really, I mean REALLY want this medical school thing or not. If I do, this seems like the way to go. If not, there is no point in leaving my career here and high-tailing it across the country.

To be honest, I never thought that a decision like that would even make me hesitate. But now, staring it in the face, I'm having a harder time than I expected.

Right now, I'd say we are about 75% on the packing the truck side of things, but there is a lot still to consider.

I'd love to have feedback from any and all!

6 comments:

John-David and Kathryn said...

I would love to give some feedback. 1) You guys would be about an hour and some change from us. 2) It's only two years. You could go back to Blanding after the two years and get a job at the new hospital they just built. 3) Yes Philly is a big city however it's rich with historical history of our country which is amazing. You also don't have to drive too far to get out of the big city feel. Where we live is small town USA. 4) Life is an adventure and it's when we are starting to fell comfortable that Lord shakes things up a bit. Good Luck with finding your decision and enjoy the ride:)

The Johnson Family said...

Just do it! It's a chance of a lifetime, scary, but you'll probably will be glad you did it in the end. Christina has to be around family and now instead of five hours away her sister would just be one hour away. I think that obviously that if you got accepted that it is meant to be and the Lord is telling you something. Like you said if med school is for you then it is a window of opportunity. That is my feedback!! Sisters have always something to say!! The big question also would be when you you start and have to move?

Lisa said...

Go!Go!Go! It's is scary no doubt, but it is the chance of a lifetime that has been handed to you. Don't think about it too long just do it.

The Robert A. Meier Family said...

Rob Says, "As a public heatlh official your future will be about informing the public about swine flu and administering Obama's health care. Sounds overrated to me. The Creation begins and ends with Chemistry, if that is what you enjoy and you have a future as an Alquimist then by all means stick with it. The blessing is that now you have more leverage to negociate a raise. Go see how bad they really want/need to keep you. What is the ceiling pay rate at Blanding Chemical Inc. The real question is,Do you have a soild future as an Alquimist?
Because that is what you love. If so stick with it. If no future - go to Drextal. It sounds like a drug to me."

Sean Hurst said...

Don't do it.

Sean Hurst said...

Just kidding. It sounds like a good opportunity, if it's where you want to go. Besides, as being one who receives revelation for you, it seems like a good plan. We will miss you guys, but I guess we don't see you much anyway. sniff.