Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Initiation

Well, I have officially been sprinkled in the holy water of parenthood.

McKay's first at home diaper change was also my first-ever diaper change. It was fairly typical. It was his second diaper change that got interesting.

You see, Christina taught me to cover the little boy up with a diaper wipe as soon as I took his diaper off. When I peeled the diaper off, though, and turned to get a wipe, they weren't there. We had moved them into the bathroom for a different job, and they hadn't come back yet.

As soon as I realized this, and started to turn back toward McKay to figure out a different plan, I felt something warm on my hand. My first thought was Bella had come in and was licking at me. I turned to shoo her away, but she wasn't there. When I turned back toward the baby, I felt it again. And it still took a minute to sink in.

That's right. The little guy was sending up an initiation shower that was currently soaking my pants. It also soaked his changing table and even sent a few sprinkles all the way to our bed.

I took time to laugh at myself, especially since I had been warned. The funniest part, however, is that it will probably not be the last time!

1 comment:

Sean Hurst said...

Welcome to the joys of parenting. Just watch for poop cannons, those are really fun. Okay, we only had one with Ian and none with Landon yet, but they're nasty if they happen. Changing an exploded poopy diaper on the side of the freeway exit (with your slightly older, but unmarried friend wondering how long the trip to Blanding will take and waiting impatiently) is also fun. Or on the tailgate of the 4Runner, with a cold wind blowing. Or... Just keep blogging, the possibilities are endless, and you tell them so well.