Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Career Saga 3: The Call

Well, it has been quite a week. Yesterday was quite a day.

There is nearly no way to describe all the emotions that were coursing through me as we drove McKay home from the hospital -- as we carried him through the front doors as proud new parents.

I am just emotional enough that I could have probably spent several hours on the couch, just trying to absorb all of it. (Weird? Perhaps.) There would be no time for that.

The light on the answering machine was flashing. I pressed play, expecting some nice congratulations for our sweet new baby. Instead: "This message is for Michael. This is Tracy from Midwestern University. I'm calling about your status for the upcoming AZCOM [Arizona College of Medicine] class. We have a few open seats and the dean of admissions has asked me to call and offer you one of these seats. Please call me back as soon as possible."

Wait. What? Did I really just get offered a spot in medical school? Really? The same day I brought my brand new baby home? Yep.

There will be no time to revel in the emotions of fatherhood -- at least not right now. Right now, I have about 24 hours to decide if I really do want medical school; if I really think I can do it; if I really can move my family to a new city (Phoenix) and start a totally new chapter in my life.

It's OK, though. I'm totally comfortable with this decision. No problem. (Yeah, right.) This afternoon, I'll just call Tracy back and report my decision, which is.....

To Be Continued

6 comments:

Sean Hurst said...

Congratulations. Whether you decided to go or not, you will always know you could have. They wanted you. At least Phoenix isn't so far away.

The Johnson Family said...

Your going to Phoenix Congrats We will miss you!!!

John-David and Kathryn said...

Congratulations. Welcome to the world of medical school. It will be a very hard 4 years but in the end you wouldn't trade the experience for anything. You'll learn a lot about yourself, strengthen your marriage and meet some of your greatest friends. Good luck with it all.

Jill said...

Congratulations on the new baby! He is way cute! I hope you are both doing well and I wish you luck on your decision making.

The Robert A. Meier Family said...

Med school is not as hard as they say it is. Don't believe the hype. Every med student that I know spends a lot of time on the back nine. If they are not on the back nine then you can find them on the front nine. If they are not on the front nine then look in the club house. And if you still can't find them then they are on the snowboard slopes. So you will do fine. Just promise me that you won't end up like Dr. Probst and tell my sisters that they are fat.

Todd and Mallory said...

I am so excited for you guys...a new baby and a new city. Good new houses are super cheap down there right now. My sister-in-laws best friend has a house in her neighborhood that is selling for 70,000. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!