Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hometown 4th of July (Happy Birthday, Christina!)

As most of you know, Christina's birthday is on the 4th of July. Because of this, we normally spend the Fourth according to her wishes, which normally include a trip to Idaho, or at least Salt Lake City. However, with the baby coming soon, this year didn't seem like a good time for traveling. Additionally, my mom's family was having a family reunion, and I was asked to help with the food, etc., so we got to spend the 4th of July in Blanding. This is actually kind of exciting for me, as I grew up here and actually really enjoy Blanding's festivities.

The morning started at 5 a.m. for me, because I got up early to wrap Christina's presents and to make her a cake. She had requested a store-bought cake to remind her of the days at the West Jordan Rodeo (when her family was too busy to make the cake, and bought one instead). I couldn't justify spending more than $30, so I invented a store-bought cake at home. I simply made some cake mixes and baked them in jelly roll pans and put a layer of raspberry pie filling in between the two layers. Then I frosted it with buttercream frosting using a recipe I found in a cook book. It wasn't a store-bought cake, but it wasn't too bad, either.


Blanding still has a very traditional parade, with lots of candy! We found a nice shady spot and enjoyed the parade while my neice and nephew scooped up the loot by the handful.




The mid-day is filled with a carnival and kid races. Christina and I missed the kids races, choosing to go to photography/quilt show instead, but the kids apparently did quite well (and made the local paper).

We also spent time with the extended family, getting beat at Bocce and horseshoes before spending most the evening cooking a dutch oven dinner for the family reunion.

We did get to finish of our celebrations with a very nice fireworks display. Christina definately enjoyed. Bella: not so much. She spent the show curled up of the floor of the cab of my pickup. Dogs just don't seem to get fireworks...

Happy Fourth all!

2 comments:

Sean Hurst said...

Thanks for posting pics of the 4th in Blanding. We missed it. We didn't even go watch the fireworks here in Logan. No sweet parade with loads of free candy either. Maybe next year...

Sean Hurst said...

PS Happy Belated Birthday Christina--hope your little guy has a birthday here soon.