Thursday, August 27, 2009

Snake Bread

I would say today has been a pretty good day, other then the fact I've been sick all day.


Anyway, to make a short story long (or a long story short) -- We heard about a family in our ward giving away free bakery bread. Apparently this family goes and collects bread older bread from a bakery. Michael was nice enough to drive me to their house, because if I was looking for the address I would still be looking.


When we found the house, we were walking up to the front door and notice a rather large snake on their front porch. One of the kids answer the door we make sure we are at the right house ant then mention: "Hey you have a snake on your front porch" and starting making our way through the door, not thinking much about it. (I guess we have lived in Blanding too long.) The kid looks out the door yells for his mom, she looks at the snake and screams for her husband.


In the mean time, the snake went into the garage and that's when it became a problem. It was sort of funny because the whole funny started freaking out, "We have never seen a snake around here." I went inside to look at the different kinds of bread and Michael went outside to see how he could help.


It turned into quite an ordeal. The snake crawled up under some shelves were there was plenty of items, including an old couch and some folding tables, in storage. They tried to shoo the snake back out of the garage, but it seemed to keep moving deeper into the garage. Finally, Michael started pulling the stuff out a little at a time. Nearly 40 minutes later, they finally had the snake headed out. Of course, by this time the snake was quite agitated. It would strike at everything that came near it, raising the adrenaline level past rational levels. After pushing the snake back and forth several more times, Michael actually caught a hold of it with a garden rake, and pulled it toward the garage door. It escaped again, and headed back into the garage. In desperation he pinned it down with a flat-nosed shovel. The man of the house came to assist and promptly removed the poor thing's head with another shovel.


Since nobody was sure if it was poisonous and there were kids running all over the place, it seemed like the best thing to do. It turns out it wasn't poisonous, and may have been a Red Coachwhip that are common in this area, but rational thoughts slipped out sometime after the snake starting fighting back. Turns out the poor little guy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.


We went back into the house and collected our bread and headed home. Turns out it was quite an eventful trip... maybe even better than fighting traffic to get to the grocery store!




Red Coachwhip

3 comments:

John-David and Kathryn said...

If I saw a red snake like that I would have done the same. I am not a big fan of snakes.

Sean Hurst said...

I probably would have started with peeing my pants, screaming and running away. Yuck! I love the nonchalance of just walking in after announcing "you have a snake on your porch". So Blanding. Hope the adventures keep coming. -Maggie

Avery said...

Hey I'm so glad you have a blog so I can read about all your adventures. I would fainted if I saw that snake, so gross!